my accidental political manifesto
Tagged by celticmoonbeams
Tagged by celticmoonbeams
Rule #1: Always post the rules.
Rule #2: Answer the questions the person who tagged you asked, then write 11 new ones.
Rule #3: Tag 11 people then link them to this post.
Rule #4: Tell them you tagged them.
Rule #5: Tell the person that tagged you when you’ve answered the questions.
1. If you were prime minister/ruler of the world what laws would you make?
A dangerous question to ask a lawyer. Just for starters, focusing on US domestic policy only:
- Everyone over 18 gets to vote. Everyone. Even convicted felons.
- Election Day is a National holiday. Wages are triple if the store chooses to stay open. No stores may be open from 8am to 9am.
- An independent bipartisal judicial panel draws electoral districts. No more gerrymandering in favor of either side.
- Reverse Citizens United - it’s totally against precedent
- Reverse Hobby Lobby - also totally against precedent
- Accurate science is taught in schools. None of this religious bullshit.
- No organized prayer in schools (students are of course free to express whatever religion they want; the school administration cannot get involved)
- EVERY insurance plan must include both full birth control and abortion coverage. Actual religious institutions (not fucking Hobby Lobby) may petition for an exception.
- No more secret donors for Super PACs. All donors disclosed
- Label foods containing GMO ingredients
- A living minimum wage
- Clarity in medical costs via a database so consumers can comparison shop
- For-profit colleges which fail to have 75% percentage of graduates in jobs in their chosen profession within two years lose accreditation
- Six months parental leave for each parent when a child is born/adopted. The parents must take at least 2 months each; the remaining six months can be shared between them.
- Everyone gets that cardboard infant box that people in Finland get
- School lunches must be nutritious and balanced and reasonably tasty, which hopefully encourages all students to eat the lunches, reducing stigma and obesity.
- Sugar beverages should be taxed within an inch of their lives
- Cigarettes and ecigarettes should be taxed within an inch of their lives
- Medically accurate age-appropriate health education every year for every student
- Financial literacy classes in high school
- Triple funding for the judiciary. The slow, inefficient, backlogged courts cannot do justice.
- No more minimum sentences for nonviolent offenses
- No more death penalty (appeals are too fucking expensive and that’s just for starters)
- No drilling in ANWAR
- Adequately fund public defenders for both criminal and civil suits if the amount in controversy exceeds $10k.
- Up or down votes in the Senate for judicial confirmations. No more of this avoiding to vote from either party
- Massive fines and ultimate loss of accreditation for college campuses which fail to adequately respond to sexual assault claims
- Dishonorable discharge from the military if convicted of first degree rape
- Decriminalize possession of small amounts of pot.
- Triple jail time for sexual assault convictions which include DNA evidence
- Close all corporate tax loopholes and reduce the overall tax burden for those corporations who can’t figure out how to exploit all those loopholes
- Persons who have over a certain amount in assets are ineligible to receive Social Security (say, top 25% of the country)
- No Social Security until age 70 (unless disabled).
- Ban voter “identification” laws which effectively keep the poor and POC from voting
- No voter can wait more than one hour to vote. If the wait time approaches 45 minutes, additional stations must be promptly made available.
- Lobbyists may not write bills
- anti-choice protesters are treated as terrorists when they act like terrorists
- End subsidies to corn, soybeans, wheat, dairy, etc
- Create subsidies for fruits and vegetables
- Until convicted of a felony, no expelling children from school
- WIC benefits are not dependent on a child’s performance in school
- The MPAA is required to change movie rating criteria - women enjoying sex is PG13 or maybe R (see kat denning’s amazing summary), but rape is X, and other sexual violence is R at minimum. Same deal for video games.
- Schools offer nutritious breakfast available to all students
- [ I could go on forever]
2. If you could go back in time to change one thing what would it be?
Antonin Scalia decided against going to law school.
Or the birth of either of the Koch brothers. I think that either of them solo would not be nearly as damaging as the two of them have been together.
3. Have you ever been in a newspaper?
I don’t think so.
4. If you could change anything about yourself what would it be?
I wish my tiny boobs were bigger but really I wish I wasn’t so hard on myself about shit that doesn’t matter or I can’t control
5. If you could ask your future self one question what would it be?
Should I buy the townhouse we’re looking at tomorrow? Is it a good investment? Will it sufficiently appreciate in 4-6 years so we can sell it and buy a house?
6. What was your favorite birthday?
Two years ago, I think. Mr. Artielu bought a much smaller version of our wedding cake (we had a small wedding so we just bought a regular cake from a local awesome bakery), got me a bouquet of flowers with all the flowers I like and none of the ones I don’t (the list is long), and a necklace I had been eyeing but refused to buy because it was too expensive. It was way too expensive but I love it and gifts since have been quite modest.
7. If you could learn any language fluently what would it be?
8. What historical figure would you love to see in 21st century life?
This is cheesy, but Da Vinci.
9. Do you have any superstitions?
10. If you were in a band, what instrument/role would you play?
I’d be a vocalist
11. Have you ever danced in the rain?
Yes, I think so?
It’s the little things
Over the weekend, Mr. Artielu and I went over to our friends’ new home for the first time. They have a cat who I have heard many, many times from them and our friends who have already visited the home is very, very shy. Most of them have never seen kitty at all. When he hears anyone but his owners, he hides. When his owners come home, he snuggles up on them for about ten minutes each and then even they don’t usually see him again for the rest of the night.
When we came over, kitty immediately hid and we did not see kitty. We grilled and had dinner outside on the patio, lovely. Several hours after we arrived, I went back into the house to use the restroom. And am immediately looking at kitty. I’m already feeling quite victorious for even seeing kitty.
And then while I’m standing in the entryway staring at kitty, kitty snuggles up on me and requests snuggles and rubs for probably ten minutes. I was so shocked/elated that I basically did whatever he wanted. He’d make to wander off again, so I would wait, and then he would come back with “more snuggles please.” He eventually walked off.
I went back outside and did a victory dance and the hosts were kinda stunned and dubious but impressed. Kitty doesn’t like anyone.
We later had dessert inside, and kitty came out (!) and snuggled up to his mom and then snuggled up to me(!!!). Our friends were dumbstruck.
Thank you kitty for giving me witnesses to your amazing external validation. With the very shy kitty stamp of approval, I can’t be all evil.
your hand in mine, together we fly (4/?)
This is getting out of hand. Deputy!Emma and Fisherman!Killian. Just two (sort-of) lost souls finding love. And maybe a little angst along the way.
Ruby leans over the counter and slides a steaming mug of coffee in front of him and says, “Tell me your troubles, sailor.” She gives him a wink and an exaggerated toss of her hair as she makes her way down the bar to place a pile of pancakes in front of the librarian, Ms. French, before making her way back to his lonely perch at the counter.
He’d been convinced that his first date with Emma went well. In fact, he knows that it went well because he remembers the way she leaned into him on his bike, neither hesitant nor shy, pressing her body flush against his, her arms tight around his waist. He can still feel the way her heart beat a rapid staccato against his back and how, when he placed the bike into park, she slid her leg over it gracefully, giving him a heated look as she handed the helmet back to him, cheeks pink and flushed, eyelashes fluttering.
He remembers her joy and surprise at the picnic in the abandoned greenhouse overlooking the harbor, set on a high perch of land that he’s been saving for since he arrived in town. (He didn’t tell her that he’d yet to make the purchase yet, sheriff and all that. Though somehow he supposes she would mind too much, given the way she sat close to him on the tapestry, legs curled beneath her, laughing with him as they drank red wine from plastic cups and sipped soup out of a metal thermos.)
He especially remembers the way she leaned into him at the end of the night, her body creating a magnetic pull within his, the way his fingers tugged at the loops of her jeans and how her eyes flared with that same heat from earlier, right before their lips met.
It’s been weeks since their date, the flickers of anticipation that he held at the end of the night (hoping for another date, and another and another) bleeding into worry as he’s sensed a retreat in Emma.
It’s not that they’ve seen less of each other. She still says hello, slanting her eyes across the diner in the mornings with a hint of a smile, brushing behind him as she makes her way out the door, her hand trailing, oh so gently, across this back and shoulders. He’s brought her lunch at the station, watching as she runs her fingers through her hair while she’s on the phone, explaining to Leroy the ins and outs of public intoxication charges, or dealing with petty vandals and shop owners on main street. When she notices him in the doorway, she always gives him a smile and her eyes alight with pleasure.
i love how tumblr is like personally offended by 50 shades of grey